The most beautiful WordPress yet
I decided to install the latest WordPress 3.9 nightly this evening. Either something went funky on the update to beta3, or there were database changes between beta 3 and the latest nightly. I dunno. All I know is that the latest nightly (27857) appears to be working nicely.
Something I’ve been wanting for a long time is a better widget management experience, and WordPress 3.9 delivers nicely.
Drag-drag-drag. Scroll-scroll-scroll. Widget management can be complicated. With the new design, we’ve worked to streamline the widgets screen.
Have a large monitor? Multiple widget areas stack side-by-side to use the available space. Using a tablet? Just tap a widget to add it.
When clicking on a widget to add, you’re presented with a list of available sidebar areas to choose. Just select the area you want to add the selected widget to. Here’s a screenshot.
WordPress 3.9 now has an official release date, April 16. I haven’t used the WordPress 3.9 nightly for long, but so far, so good. And without the folks below (and lots of others), WordPress wouldn’t be what it is today.
Some changes that can be found in WordPress 3.9 beta 3:
- New features like live widget previews and the new theme installer are now more ready for prime time, so check ‘em out.
- UI refinements when editing images and when working with media in the editor. We’ve also brought back some of the advanced display settings for images.
- If you want to test out audio and video playlists, the links will appear in the media manager once you’ve uploaded an audio or video file.
- For theme developers, we’ve added HTML5 caption support (#26642) to match the new gallery support (#26697).
- The formatting function that turns straight quotes into smart quotes (among other things) underwent some changes to drastically speed it up, so let us know if you see anything weird.
You can find WordPress 3.9 beta 3 for download here. After installing it, you’ll be prompted to update to the latest nightly. Well, that may be because of a plugin I have installed, so if that doesn’t happen, don’t worry, all is good.